How good is this! It’s soul-satisfying candied bacon that sounds like a good dish for Bachelor parties.
A Bourbon maple bread pudding with candied bacon. Yep, read it again. And even better than this recipe is the fact that the experts at the MyNorth Bacon at Burritt’s event prepared four other bacon-inspired pairing dishes complemented by hand-selected beer, wine and cider.
The bacon experts at the fresh market and butchery also offer tips on bacon preparation as well as recipes on their website.
Bourbon Maple Bread Pudding with Candied Bacon
Bourbon Maple Bread Pudding.
• 1 cup sugar.
• 3 large organic eggs.
• 1 cup Shetler Family Dairy half & half.
• 1⁄4 cup Olds Brothers pure maple syrup.
• 1⁄4 cup small diced local pears poached in Maker’s Mark Bourbon.
• 2 cups Stone House Bread baguette, crust removed, 1-inch dice.
• 1/8 cup Tillamook unsalted butter.
• 1⁄2 cup organic light brown sugar.
• 8 slices thick-sliced Nueske’s Apple-wood Smoked Bacon.
• 1/4 cup organic light brown sugar.
• Pinch of ground black pepper.
Vanilla Bourbon Sauce.
• 2 cups sugar.
• 1⁄2 cup water.
• 1 cup Shetler Family Dairy heavy cream.
• 1 Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Bean pod, split.
• 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice.
• 2 tablespoons Tillamook unsalted butter.
• 1 tablespoon Maker’s Mark Bourbon.
If you don’t have the exact candied bacon ingredient items experiment with what you do have. Remember to make one without bourbon as well.
Bourbon Maple Bread Pudding with Candied Bacon:
In a large bowl, combine the sugar, eggs, half & half, syrup, pears, and bread cubes. Coat a 9-by-9-inch baking pan with melted butter. Pour the custard-and-bread mixture into the baking pan, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight. Combine the butter and brown sugar in a bowl and work with your fingers until crumbly. Top the custard-and-bread mixture with the brown sugar mixture. Bake for 1 hour, until set. Top with candied bacon (recipe below), and serve with Vanilla Bourbon Sauce (recipe below) and Jeni’s Ndali Estate Vanilla Ice Cream.
Toss bacon in sugar and black pepper. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay bacon at. Top with another sheet of parchment and another baking sheet, to flatten. Bake until crispy.
Vanilla Bourbon Sauce: Combine sugar and 1⁄2 cup water in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat without stirring (swirl pan occasionally) until dark amber in color. Reduce heat to low and slowly stir in cream with a wooden spoon. Stir in remaining ingredients.